Friday, June 5, 2009

Time for something really unhealthy...

Soft Chocolate Sandwich cookies...

I saw a photo, wanted to eat these, and thought everyone else might want to eat these. I do love me some unhealthy baked goods.


Makes: 20 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 1/2 hour to chill (...that's it?)
Cooking time: 5 to 8 minutes per batch

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup plus 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
3 Tbs. water

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and mix together. Gradually mix in cocoa powder and flour. Stir in water.

Form dough into a flattened disk; chill for 30 minutes

Preheat oven to 325F. Carefully place dough on parchment paper; roll out approximately 1/4" thick. Cut into circles using a 1 1/4" round cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheets. Bake about 5 to 8 minutes, until the cookies are firm at edges and no longer doughy in the middle. Cool completely. Spread cream cheese frosting on the cookie bottoms; assemble to form a sandwich cookie.

Cream cheese frosting:
In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese, 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and 6 Tbs. softened butter. Mix well.

Actual suggestion from recipe: To reduce the amount of calories in each, make mini cookies using a 3/4" cookie cutter. Wha...that way I might eat less, resulting in fewer calories?

*I love that it asks you to use low-fat cream cheese. What is the point...note the other ingredients.

Enjoy. I will.

4 comments:

tookiecramer said...

Hey, have you actually made these? Because there will be none of that posting recipes that look good and are really crap going on on this blog! This is how Rachel Ray has built an empire.

Richard said...

So I made these and with the original recipe the dough seemed really wet. I added about 1 more cup of flour which helped but then the cookies were really flour-y. I would maybe go 1.5 cups. But SO good!

Lynette said...

I think I will stick with the cake mix version. Very easy and perfect consistency each time

tookiecramer said...

Cake mix version - the lazy people in the family need to know about this.